What is a bowfishing deck?
Bowfishing is a type of fishing where bowhunters use specially-made bows to shoot fish. The hunters shoot the fish with arrows or bolts, and some can even kill them by shooting their air bladders.
Bowfishing is an effective way to hunt for large-mouth bass, carp, buffalo, and catfish up close because they are easier targets than those shot from afar in other types of hunting.
A bowfishing deck is a platform that sits on the side of a boat to which an angler can attach his or her bow and arrow. The bow extends over the water and the archer fires it as fish swim below.
Bowfishing Deck: A deck on a boat that has been made specifically for bow fishers who want to get up close and personal with their prey while still being safe aboard a boat! This article will explore what makes a good bow fishing deck as well as how you should go about building one yourself if you feel so inclined.
A bowfishing deck is typically shorter than other fishing decks, so the motion of the boat doesn’t interfere with a bow hunter’s shot.
The bowhunter should be able to stand up when in position and shoot down at his prey while not being too far from it.
A typical width for this type of deck is about three feet (or one meter) wide, but you can build yours wider if desired since there isn’t much room required by law or safety regulations that are specific to bow hunting.
When building your own bowfishing deck:
– Think carefully about how high off the water line you want your shooter bar to be – It has been found that taller bows have an increased chance of missing their target. You can also search at Youtube.com to know and plan when making your own bowfishing deck.
Features of a bowfishing deck
The typical bowfishing deck is constructed from a piece of plywood or marine-grade PVC about 30 inches wide and around six feet long. One end has been cut to fit the side of the boat, while the other fits snugly against a vertical post secured to one side of the vessel. The archer stands on that edge with his or her back toward the water and fires into it as fish swim below.
Why You Must Plan to build Bowfishing Deck
When you are planning to build a bowfishing deck, it is important to consider the archer’s position on the boat and their line of sight. The best way to ensure this is on your bowfishing deck is by positioning your shooter bar.
You may want to borrow or purchase a cheap length of material that will be long enough for the deck surface. You can then find an appropriate measurement for this product, cut it down to size with scissors, and use it as a template.
As you follow these steps, remember to make sure that your archer’s position is at least three feet away from the water; anything less will not provide an accurate shot. If you are using an old piece of marine-grade PVC for your platform, make sure it is wide enough to provide a two-foot range.
When you are considering where the post should be placed on the bowfishing deck:
- You will want to place it in such a way that archers can fit and stand comfortably while shooting. This means avoiding any posts directly under or above them unless they have very short bows (less than six feet).
- The height of the shooter bar needs to be at least four feet off the ground when standing; if an archer stands below this measurement then there isn’t much chance he’ll hit his target! If you use PVC pipe instead of wood as a material, cut one end so it sticks out about five inches from vertical before attaching to PVC cement.
- You will also want to position the post so that it is in line with the archer’s arm when they are shooting; this means making sure there is enough room for them to reach and pull back their bowstring easily without straining or leaning too far forward.
- Whether you use PVC pipe or a wooden piece, be sure that your shooter bar reaches at least two feet past the vertical post! This measure ensures safety by preventing any accidents from happening as an archer shoots his arrow into the water.
If you’re using metal instead of wood:
Metal can be excellent material if you have access to some spare rebar (or another scrap) lying around on your property. All you’ll need to do is buy a few lengths of PVC pipe and attach it to the metal bars. You can also use this method if you want to make your bowfishing deck taller than four feet off the ground; just be sure that there are some safety precautions in place.
Example of Bowfishing Deck
One of the best bowfishing decks available in the market is the Gander Mountain Outdoor Gear bowfishing deck. This is a durable and versatile design that is easy to set up and takedown. The bowfishing deck measures 30 inches wide by six feet long. It weighs around four pounds making it easy to transport from place to place.
- Test out your post before deciding on where you want it, as this will also affect your shooter bar placement. The best place to position it is on the boat’s side at roughly eye level with an archer’s line of sight while shooting, usually about four feet off the ground.
- Whether you use PVC or metal for your post, make sure that there are no gaps in the material. If you use PVC, the two-inch pipe is a great choice because it provides stability and support for this design while still being lightweight enough to transport when necessary.
If your boat doesn’t have any bowfishing decks, there are many DIY tutorials available online that can show you how to make one yourself! The best place on your vessel’s side from which an archer should shoot their arrows into the water is three feet away or more; anything closer will result in inaccurate shots.
Ensure that there is at least five inches of clearance between the post and vertical piece if using PVC as a platform instead of wood
Conclusion on how to build a bowfishing deck
Bowfishing is a popular recreational activity that can be done with friends and family. To ensure safety while bowfishing, there are many important considerations to make when setting up your boat’s deck for shooting arrows into the water.
In a conclusion in order to build a bowfishing deck, there are many considerations to make when setting up your boat’s deck for shooting arrows into the water.
The height of the shooter bar needs to be at least four feet off the ground while standing; if an archer stands below this measurement then it isn’t much chance he’ll hit his target! If you use PVC pipe instead of wood as a material, cut one end so it sticks out about five inches from vertical before attaching to PVC cement.